Monday, June 09, 2008

Bonewop

You might be wondering about the name I chose for one of my geocaches - Bonewop. I believe there are only two people in the world who know the true significance of this word and of course I am one of them. I just googled the word and it came up with only 3 hits all referring to this geocache.

The description of the cache is below. It has nothing to do with the real significance of the word.

Bonewops were previously thought to be extinct but I saw long haired red one while placing this cache.

Bonewops were so named because of their strange clublike feet that were often used to konk predator animals on their head to fend them off. This was purely a defensive action since the bonewop is a grazing animal about the size of a beaver. Its favorite food is puncturevine. Perhaps the increase in the amount of puncturevine in Colorado is what has brought them back from the brink of extinction. Watch out for puncturevine, by the way. These are the plants that produce goathead thorns that are the bane of many bicycle tires.

For some really peculiar reason, it is common to see very unusual animals near this cache. Besides that red bonewop I saw, I have also seen a parfer, a floober and a grindleflick in the area as well. Please log what you "see" and describe in as much detail as you can. A photo would be great!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I googled bonewop, parfer, floober and grindleflick and it came up with this very blog entry. Hmmm...very interesting!

Anonymous said...

i am quite familiar with bonewop


W