Monday, October 13, 2008

Units of Time - Part II

And now, continuing some thoughts on this very important matter - units of time. Please read part I first if you haven't already done so.

There are much more interesting units of time that are longer than a second because they are not precise measures ot time.

For instance, there is the "while". "How long will you be"? "Oh, a while". How long is a while? It depends on whether it is a short while, a long while, or just a while. I think a "short while" can be anywhere from a few minutes to about an hour and a half. A long while could be anywhere from several hours to a number of years. A regular while is somewhere inbetween and they no doubt overlap. Whiles are never plural. As in "I'll be away from home for two short whiles". Would two short whiles be equal to one while? How many whiles are in a long while? Do whales care about this at all?

How about a jiffy. This word is not used much today. I have never heard of a short jiffy or a long jiffy, just a jiffy. Like whiles, jiffies aren't plural and therefore can't be combined. "I'll be gone for a while and two jiffies." Oddly, a jiffy in some circles is a precise time interval of .01 seconds and in others, it is a precise 1/50th or 1/60 of a second (someone needs to make up their mind). However, it is more commonly intended to mean a very short but not a precise amount of time. What does a jiffy have to do with peanut butter or popcorn?

It is strange but both "minute" and "second" are sometimes used to refer to an amount of time that is not precise as in "I'll be there in a minute" or "just a second". Oddly, this doesn't bother me.

How about a "coon's age"? How long is that. How long does a raccoon live anyway? Well, it's about 5-7 years but the phrase could simply mean a long time and how long that is depends on the context. "I haven't seen you in a coon's age". Seems like that could be weeks, months or years.

A month of Sundays. Whoa. I suppose this could be 28, 29, 30, or 31 weeks. But it's really just another lengthy and indefinite amount of time - somewhat less than a coon's age. "I haven't seen a raccoon in a month of Sundays".

Speaking of ages, it's been ages since I lived in Chicago. How long is "ages"?

Can you think of any more? Take a short while and add a post to this one that shows your ability to waist a little time (or a lot of time, or a short while or a few jiffies). Once you send your posting, it will be on the blog in a New York minute (the time it takes from when the traffic light turns green, till the guy behind you starts honking his horn").

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have heard in a coon's age (but not in a month of Sundays) and I think it was mostly in old westerns. "I haven't seen Rooster in a coon's age" which I took to mean a good long while. It's been eons since I saw a good western...but only a New York minute since I read an entertaining blog!