Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Satisfaction of an FTF

I was FTF on a geocache yesterday morning. That's "First to Find" for all you muggles. This particular one is over in Chatfield State Park and is tucked away in a relatively remote corner of the park that hardly anyone visits. The cache was published Friday night and I rode my bike over there the next morning.

This part of the park has a number of old paved trails that are interesting to explore. Some of these trails are completely overgrown and some are even underwater! I rode my bike to with 30' of the cache but this is not necessarily a good way to get there since the area has a lot of punturevine and the goathead thorns will easily puncture bike tires. In fact, I pulled about 50 of them out of my tires but since I have puncture resistent tubes and flat-attack goo in my tires, none cause me any problems except for the time I spent pulling them out.

I discovered a travel bug in the cache and left a squeaky frog. I grabbed an interesting foreign coin (2 pence). The travel bug was a plastic bag full of wine bottle corks. I didn't take it since my pockets were not big enough to hold it. Each person who takes it is encouraged to add a new cork to the collection and then move it on. It originated in Wisconsin and has travelled over 5000 miles.

No comments: